About Nancy Moses
Nancy Moses is an author, nonprofit planner, and former museum director.
She currently serves as Chair of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, appointed by Governor Tom Wolf.
Moses’ books and articles explore change in the nonprofit sector, equity for women, and critical issues cultural property. She is the author of Stolen, Smuggled, Sold: On the Hunt for Cultural Treasures (Rowman & Littlefield 2015) and the award-winning Lost in the Museum: Hidden Treasures: Buried Treasures and the Stories They Tell (Altamira Press 2008). Moses was the first Guest Editor of the online Philadelphia Social Innovations Journal, and a columnist for Philadelphia Business Journal. She was a contributor to the textbook Social Innovation and Impact in Nonprofit Leadership (2014), and was profiled in Thriving in Retirement: Lessons from Baby Boomer Women (2017). Moses is Creator of “Sisters in Freedom” produced by History Making Productions.
Nancy Moses Planning+Development, produces strategic plans fundraising and marketing studies, and business plans that have helped leading nonprofits launch, grow, and pivot.
Clients benefit from her a 360-degree view of the nonprofit sector gained from service as an executive director, board member, funder, author, teacher, and consultant.
Moses began her career at the National Endowment for the Humanities. She served on the executive staff of WQED Public Broadcasting, and the University of Pennsylvania’s Center for Greater Philadelphia. As Executive Director of the Atwater Kent Museum, Philadelphia’s history museum dramatically expanded attendance and revenue.
- Chair, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
- Ex Officio Member, USA250-PA
- Founder, Women for Social Innovation Giving Circle
- Founder, Philadelphia Civil War History Consortium
- Columnist, Philadelphia Business Journal
- Forum of Executive Women
- Union League of Philadelphia
- Leadership, Inc.
- Urban Affairs Coalition
- Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia
- Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance
- Pennsylvania Hospital Community Advisory Board,
- Philadelphia Youth Orchestra
- Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks
- Community Education Center
- Women’s Medical Fund
- International Visitors Center of Philadelphia
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Visiting Scholar, American University of Rome
- Women of Distinction, 2015 Philadelphia Business Journal
- Star Award, Forum of Executive Women
- Gold Medal, Popular Culture, 2008, ForeWord Magazine
- US Government Special Achievement Award
- Delegate, President’s Summit for America’s Future
- Delegate, US/USSR Emerging Leaders Summit
Types of Clients:
- Health and mental health
- Cultural organizations
- Friends groups
- Community development
- Youth advancement
- Tourism agencies
- Higher education
- Strategic Plans
- Market Analysis
- Feasibility Studies
- Fundraising Strategies
- Business Plans
- Heritage Tourism Plans
- Institutional Assessments
Nancy is the head at a table of hearts.
– Museum consulting client
Schedule an Event
Roman & Littlefield